Our team includes researchers from a variety of universities and other institutions. All are based at the University of Manchester unless stated otherwise.
For general enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Press Ctrl+F (Windows) or ⌘ Command+F (Mac) to open the 'Find' box (this works in most browsers). This command can also be found in the 'Edit' menu in Internet Explorer, or in the ☰ menu in Chrome and Firefox.
Please note: If you're using a mobile browser, the Find command is usually in the browser's menu (it is often called 'Find in Page').
If you are using Safari for iOS, delete the address that is in the address bar and type the word you want to search for there instead. Select 'On this page' from the search results that appear.
Bridget Byrne - Professor of Sociology and Director of CoDE, University of Manchester
Creative and cultural industries, class, citizenship, gender, nation.
Claire Alexander - Professor of Sociology and Associate Director of CoDE
Decolonising the curriculum, youth/gangs, migration/diaspora, south Asians/Muslims in Britain.
James Nazroo - Professor of Sociology and Associate Director of CoDE
Health, mental health, life course, racism.
Academic and research staff
Laia Bécares - Senior Lecturer, University of Sussex
Discrimination, health, lifecourse, mental health.
Rashida Bibi - Research Associate (Decolonising History)
Gender, Islamophobia, religion, belonging, everyday spaces
Seán Carey - Senior Research Fellow in the School of Social Sciences
Ethnicity and identity, food and hospitality, East London, and ethnography.
Ken Clark - Senior Lecturer in Economics
Labour market, employment, self-employment, ethnic pay gap
Dan Ellingworth - Research Associate (EVENS)
Nissa Finney - Reader in Human Geography, University of St Andrews
Stephanie Guirand - Research Associate Goldsmiths, University of London
Gender, census, and housing
Maria Haarmans - Research Associate
Intersectional inequalities, co-production and participatory research methods, gender, mental health.
Suzi Hall - Associate Professor in Sociology, London School of Economics and Political Science
Migration, racial borderscapes, livelihoods.
Remi Joseph-Salisbury - Presidential Fellow in Sociology
Education, policing, mixed-race, anti-racism.
Dharmi Kapadia - Lecturer in Sociology
Mental illness, mental health services, stigma, older people.
Vittal Katikireddi - Professor of Public Health & Health Inequalities, University of Glasgow
Public health, Social epidemiology, Health inequalities, Natural experiment methods.
Julia King - Research Fellow, London School of Economics and Political Science
Urbanism, planning, spatial analysis, mapping.
Sundeep Lidher - Lecturer in History, King's College London
Migration, mobility control, subjecthood, citizenship, law, policy.
Nasar Meer - Professor of Sociology, University of Edinburgh
Racialization, Islamophobia, Cities, Public Policy, Migration, Race Equality in Scotland, Local and National Citizenship.
Rohini Rai - Research Associate
Global racisms, migration, postcolonial theory, 'Global South' cities, urban ethnography.
Ruth Ramsden-Karelse - Research Associate (Contesting statues)
Anamik Saha - Senior Lecturer in Media and Communications, Goldsmiths, University of London
Creative and cultural industries, media representation, cultural production.
Natalie Shlomo - Professor of Social Statistics
Statistician, survey statistics and methodology.
Meghan Tinsley - Presidential Fellow in Sociology
Nationalism, postcolonial theory, collective memory, cultural production.
Lisa White - (Policing the crisis)
Patrick Williams - Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Manchester Metropolitan University
Gary Younge - Professor of Sociology
Social movements (especially the civil rights movement), immigration, identity and politics.
Professional support staff
Madeleine Jones (email@example.com) - Project Administrator
Emma Tsoneva (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Project Manager
Hazel Burke (email@example.com) - Impact Officer
- Ajmal Hussain - Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Warwick
- Alina Rzepnikowska-Phillip - Lecturer in Sociology, University of Manchester
- Andrew Smith - Professor of Sociology, University of Glasgow
- Anthony Heath - Professor of Sociology, University of Oxford
- Bethan Harries - Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Newcastle University
- Claire Fox - Senior Lecturer in Criminology, University of Manchester
- Dawn Edge - Professor of Mental Health and Inclusivity, University of Manchester
- Derron Wallace - Assistant Professor of Sociology and Education, Brandeis University (USA)
- Eithne Quinn - Senior Lecturer in American Studies, University of Manchester
- Gareth Mulvey - Lecturer in Sociology, University of Glasgow
- Gemma Catney - Senior Lecturer in Human Geography, Queen's University Belfast
- Gilane Tawadros - Chief Executive, The Design and Artists Copyright Society
- Gwilym Pryce - Professor of Urban Economics and Social Statistics, University of Sheffield
- Hammad Nasar - Senior Research Fellow, Paul Mellon Centre
- Ingrid Storm - Fellow in Social Policy, Sociology and Criminology, Birmingham University
- James Laurence - Research Fellow in Sociology, University of Manchester
- James Pattison - Research Associate, University of Manchester
- John Solomos - Professor of Sociology, University of Warwick
- Joya Chatterji - Professor of South Asian History, University of Cambridge
- Kamila Rymajdo - Research Associate, University of Manchester
- Kitty Lymperopoulou - Senior Research Associate in Sociology, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Latoya Reisner - Research Associate, University of Manchester
- Laurence Lessard-Phillips - Senior Research Fellow, University of Birmingham
- Lindsey Garratt - Lecturer in Childhood, Youth and Education Studies, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ludi Simpson - Honorary Professor of Social Sciences, University of Manchester
- Marcus Hunter - Professor in Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles
- Mark Brown - Senior Lecturer in Social Statistics, University of Manchester
- Omar Khan - Director, TASO
- Pete Wade - Professor in Social Anthropology, University of Manchester
- Peter Gries - Lee Kai Hung Chair and Director of the Manchester China Institute, and Professor of Chinese Politics
- Rebecca McKee - Research Fellow, University College London
- Rob Berkeley - Simon Industrial Fellow, University of Manchester
- Rob Ford - Professor in Politics, University of Manchester
- Satnam Virdee - Professor of Sociology, University of Glasgow
- Sean Carey - Senior Research Fellow in the School of Social Sciences, University of Manchester
- Shirin Hirsch - Lecturer in History, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Shamus Khan - Chair and Professor of Sociology, Columbia University (USA)
- Silvia Galandini - Programme Researcher
- Stephanie Wallace - Research Associate
- Stephen Ashe - University of Manchester
- Steve Nolan - Liverpool John Moores University
- Stephen Drinkwater - Professor of Economics, University of Roehampton
- Stephen Jivraj - Associate Professor in Social Science, University College London
- Tina Hannemann - Lecturer in Social Statistics, University of Manchester
A full list of our current and past PhD students and their thesis titles
- Anna Pearce - Researching the relationship between the asylum support system and grey economies
- Michaela Kyclova - Family Complexity and Children’s Outcomes in the UK: A Longitudinal Approach
- Elisabeth Badenhoop - Transformation from "Immigrants" to "Citizens" - A Comparison of Citizenship Admission Processes in Britain and Germany Today
- Magda Borkowska - Drivers of ethnic minorities' political participation: the group consciousness approach re-examined
- Frensis Bras - An Agent-Based Model approach to understanding changes in ethnic relations: applications to neighbourhood ethnic composition and health
- Karis Campion - The Making of Mixed Ethnicities, 1945-2011
- Patrick English - The Dynamics of Descriptive Representation and Public Opinion – The Missing Determinant of Opportunity for Immigrant Communities in the United Kingdom
- Paul Goldie - The Irish Catholic question in Scotland
- Eleanor Hill - It’s not what you know, it’s who you know: What are the implications of social networks in UK politics for electoral choice?
- Sylwia Jurkowska - UK Poles and interethnic relationships: attitudes and experiences
- Anouk Kootstra - Conditions of solidarity: how perceived deservingness of welfare support is affected by economic austerity and social diversity
- Minna Liinpaa - Nationalism, devolution and ethnic identity in Scotland
- Maureen McBride - Towards a better Understanding of Sectarianism in Scotland: a case study of football supporters and the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act (2012)
- Mengxi Pang - Investigating identity formation of mixed-race children in Scotland
- Alina Rzepnikowska-Phillip - Convivial cultures in multicultural societies: narratives of Polish migrants in Britain and Spain
- William Shankley - Changing geographies of ethnic diversity in Britain