Our team includes researchers from a variety of universities and other institutions. All are based at the University of Manchester unless stated otherwise.
For general enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Press Ctrl+F (Windows) or ⌘ Command+F (Mac) to open the 'Find' box (this works in most browsers). This command can also be found in the 'Edit' menu in Internet Explorer, or in the ☰ menu in Chrome and Firefox.
Please note: If you're using a mobile browser, the Find command is usually in the browser's menu (it is often called 'Find in Page').
If you are using Safari for iOS, delete the address that is in the address bar and type the word you want to search for there instead. Select 'On this page' from the search results that appear.
Bridget Byrne - Professor of Sociology and Director of CoDE, University of Manchester
Creative and cultural industries, class, citizenship, gender, nation.
Claire Alexander - Professor of Sociology and Associate Director of CoDE, University of Manchester
Decolonising the curriculum, youth/gangs, migration/diaspora, south Asians/Muslims in Britain.
James Nazroo - Professor of Sociology and Associate Director of CoDE
Health, mental health, life course, racism.
Academic and research staff
Laia Bécares - Professor, Kings College London
Discrimination, health, lifecourse, mental health.
Barbora Cernusakova - Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, University of Manchester
Racialisation of labour, indebtedness, workers' digital rights and the rule of law.
Nigel de Noronha - Research Associate, EVENSinAction, University of Manchester
Housing, race, migration, quantitative methods.
Nissa Finney - Professor of Human Geography, University of St Andrews
Remi Joseph-Salisbury - Reader in Sociology, University of Manchester
Education, policing, mixed-race, anti-racism.
Dharmi Kapadia - Lecturer in Sociology, University of Manchester
Mental illness, mental health services, stigma, older people.
Vittal Katikireddi - Professor of Public Health & Health Inequalities, University of Glasgow
Public health, Social epidemiology, Health inequalities, Natural experiment methods.
Nasar Meer - Professor of Sociology, University of Edinburgh
Racialisation, Islamophobia, Cities, Public Policy, Migration, Race Equality in Scotland, Local and National Citizenship.
Anamik Saha - Professor of Race and Media, University of Leeds
Creative and cultural industries, media representation, cultural production.
Natalie Shlomo - Professor of Social Statistics, University of Manchester
Statistician, survey statistics and methodology.
Amit Singh - Leverhulme Early Career Fellow 'Race, class and mobility: learning to labour in London, Morecambe and Manchester', University of Manchester
Race and class inequalities, habitus, conviviality, sports, pubs, education and culture.
Meghan Tinsley - Senior Lecturer in Sociology, University of Manchester
Nationalism, postcolonial theory, collective memory, cultural production.
Patrick Williams - Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Manchester Metropolitan University
Gary Younge - Professor of Sociology, University of Manchester
Social movements (especially the civil rights movement), immigration, identity and politics.
Professional support staff
Emma Tsoneva (email@example.com) - Project Manager, University of Manchester
Hazel Burke (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Impact Officer, University of Manchester
- Stephen Ashe - University of Manchester
- Andrea Aparicio-Castro - Associate Lecturer, University College London
- Neema Begum - Assistant Professor in British Politics, University of Nottingham
- Rob Berkeley - Simon Industrial Fellow, University of Manchester
- Rashida Bibi - Researcher, University of Sheffield
- Magda Borkowska - Senior Research Fellow, University of Essex
- Mark Brown - Senior Lecturer in Social Statistics, University of Manchester
- Seán Carey - Senior Research Fellow
- Gemma Catney - Senior Lecturer in Human Geography, Queen's University Belfast
- Joya Chatterji - Professor of South Asian History, University of Cambridge
- Ken Clark, Deputy Agent, North West Agency, Bank of England
- Stephen Drinkwater - Professor of Economics, University of Roehampton
- Dawn Edge - Professor of Mental Health and Inclusivity, University of Manchester
- Dan Ellingworth - Research Associate
- Rob Ford - Professor in Politics, University of Manchester
- Claire Fox - Senior Lecturer in Criminology, University of Manchester
- Silvia Galandini - Programme Researcher
- Lindsey Garratt - Lecturer in Childhood, Youth and Education Studies, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Peter Gries - Lee Kai Hung Chair and Director of the Manchester China Institute, and Professor of Chinese Politics
- Sadia Habib - Lecturer in Education, University of Manchester
- Tina Hannemann - Lecturer in Social Statistics, University of Manchester
- Bethan Harries - Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Newcastle University
- Scarlet Harris - Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Sociology, University of Manchester
- Joseph Harrison - University of St Andrews
- Hannah Haycox - Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Sociology, University of Manchester
- Anthony Heath - Professor of Sociology, University of Oxford
- Jenny Hewitt - Research Associate
- Shirin Hirsch - Lecturer in History, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Marcus Hunter - Professor in Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles
- Ajmal Hussain - Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Warwick
- Patricia Irizar - Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Sociology, University of Manchester
- Stephen Jivraj - Associate Professor in Social Science, University College London
- Omar Khan - Director, TASO
- Shamus Khan - Chair and Professor of Sociology, Columbia University (USA)
- Michaela Kyclova - University of St Andrews
- James Laurence - Research Fellow in Sociology, University of Manchester
- Sharon Leahy - Senior Lecturer in Human Geography, University of St Andrews
- Laurence Lessard-Phillips - Senior Research Fellow, University of Birmingham
- Sundeep Lidher - Lecturer in Black and Asian British History (post-1800), King's College London
- Kitty Lymperopoulou - Senior Research Associate in Sociology, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Rebecca McKee - Research Fellow, University College London
- Angelo Moretti - Assistant Professor, Utrecht University
- Gareth Mulvey - Lecturer in Sociology, University of Glasgow
- Hammad Nasar - Senior Research Fellow, Paul Mellon Centre
- Steve Nolan - Lecturer in Economics, Liverpool John Moores University
- Nico Ochmann - University of Manchester
- James Pattison - Research Associate, University of Manchester
- Chloe Peacock - Postdoctoral Research Fellow, SPAIS, University of Bristol
- Gwilym Pryce - Professor of Urban Economics and Social Statistics, University of Sheffield
- Eithne Quinn - Senior Lecturer in American Studies, University of Manchester
- Rohini Rai - Lecturer in Sociology of Race, Brunel University London
- Ruth Ramsden-Karelse - University of Manchester
- Latoya Reisner - Research Associate, University of Manchester
- Kamila Rymajdo - Research Associate, University of Manchester
- Alina Rzepnikowska-Phillip - Lecturer in Sociology, University of Manchester
- Ludi Simpson - Honorary Professor of Social Sciences, University of Manchester
- Andrew Smith - Professor of Sociology, University of Glasgow
- John Solomos - Professor of Sociology, University of Warwick
- Ingrid Storm - Fellow in Social Policy, Sociology and Criminology, Birmingham University
- Gilane Tawadros - Chief Executive, The Design and Artists Copyright Society
- Harry Taylor - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Ethnicity and Mortality, King's College London
- Satnam Virdee - Professor of Sociology, University of Glasgow
- Pete Wade - Professor in Social Anthropology, University of Manchester
- Derron Wallace - Assistant Professor of Sociology and Education, Brandeis University (USA)
- Stephanie Wallace - Research Associate
A full list of our current and past PhD students and their thesis titles
- Anna Pearce - Researching the relationship between the asylum support system and grey economies
- Michaela Kyclova - Family Complexity and Children’s Outcomes in the UK: A Longitudinal Approach
- Elisabeth Badenhoop - Transformation from "Immigrants" to "Citizens" - A Comparison of Citizenship Admission Processes in Britain and Germany Today
- Magda Borkowska - Drivers of ethnic minorities' political participation: the group consciousness approach re-examined
- Frensis Bras - An Agent-Based Model approach to understanding changes in ethnic relations: applications to neighbourhood ethnic composition and health
- Karis Campion - The Making of Mixed Ethnicities, 1945-2011
- Patrick English - The Dynamics of Descriptive Representation and Public Opinion – The Missing Determinant of Opportunity for Immigrant Communities in the United Kingdom
- Paul Goldie - The Irish Catholic question in Scotland
- Eleanor Hill - It’s not what you know, it’s who you know: What are the implications of social networks in UK politics for electoral choice?
- Sylwia Jurkowska - UK Poles and interethnic relationships: attitudes and experiences
- Anouk Kootstra - Conditions of solidarity: how perceived deservingness of welfare support is affected by economic austerity and social diversity
- Minna Liinpaa - Nationalism, devolution and ethnic identity in Scotland
- Maureen McBride - Towards a better Understanding of Sectarianism in Scotland: a case study of football supporters and the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act (2012)
- Mengxi Pang - Investigating identity formation of mixed-race children in Scotland
- Alina Rzepnikowska-Phillip - Convivial cultures in multicultural societies: narratives of Polish migrants in Britain and Spain
- William Shankley - Changing geographies of ethnic diversity in Britain