Offering expert insight, analysis and comment on key public policy issues.
Our blogs on the Policy@manchester website can be found under the Ethnicity Stream. A full list of blogs on ethnicity from Policy@manchester and other sites can be found in the links below.
- Clap for our Heroes: 'Good' Migrants, Wartime Rhetoric, and Covid-19
Meghan Tinsley and Neema Begum, Posted by Discover Society on 21 May 2020
- Universities must not forget about BAME students during this crisis
Karis Campion, Posted by Wonkhe on 05 May 2020
- Racism is the Root Cause of Ethnic Inequities in Covid-19
James Nazroo, Posted by Discover Society on 17 April 2020
- New Coronavirus Act may increase the mental health detention of ethnic minority people
James Nazroo, Posted by Synergi Collaborative Centre on 14 April 2020
- Why you don’t see many black and ethnic minority faces in cultural spaces – and what happens if you call out the system
Roaa Ali, Posted by The Conversation on 16 January 2020
- Political Discourse Can Be Deadly
Remi Joseph-Salisbury, Posted by Red Pepper on 19 November 2019
- Youth Violence: Britain’s schools need greater support and investment, not more policing
Remi Joseph-Salisbury, Posted by Ceasefire Magazine on August 2019
- Royal Baby Archie and Black Mixed Race People in Britain
Karis Campion, Posted by Discover Society on 22 May 2019
- Sharing Our Migration Story
Claire Alexander, Posted by Wonkhe on 05 May 2019
- Life begins at 60 — the rise of the ‘Young-Old’ society
James Nazroo, Posted by Financial Times on 03 May 2019
- Is Rami Malek's Golden Globe and Oscar Glory a Diversity Win for the Film Industry?
Roaa Ali, Posted by Media Diversified on 23 February 2019
- Diane Abbott and ‘misogynoir’: colourism, anti-blackness and sexism in the UK
Karis Campion, Posted by The Conversation on 01 February 2019
- Lost in translation? Rap music and racial bias in the courtroom
Eithne Quinn, Posted: 4 October 2018
- Can British universities be sites for reparative justice?
Karis Campion, Posted: 15 October 2018
- Is the Immigration Act 2016 a racist policy against CME citizens in the housing market?
William Shankley, Posted: 22 October 2018
- Increased diversity in Parliament: the case for centralising candidate nominations
Maria Sobolewska, Posted: 19 June 2017
- Migration and families in Europe: national and local perspectives at a time of Euroscepticism
Kitty Lymperopoulou and Lindsey Garratt, Posted: 17 March 2017
- British values: an oath without meaning?
Bridget Byrne, Posted: 13 January 2017
- Racism at work still persists; time for urgent action
James Nazroo, Posted: 14 November 2016
- Racial inequality in mental health services: we can’t fix the problem if we don’t have the data
Dharmi Kapadia, Posted: 1 July 2016
- Racial disadvantage: are some government policies contributing?
James Rhodes, Posted: 6 June 2016
- Misleading, irresponsible and dangerous; why Phillips and co should apologise for ‘What British Muslims Really Think’
Bridget Byrne and James Nazroo, Posted: 18 April 2016
- Testing times: why the UK’s citizenship tests fail to deliver
Bridget Byrne, Posted: 12 February 2016
- Amid the calls for fluency tests, we need a more inclusive approach to languages in this country
Shirin Hirsch, Posted: 22 January 2016
- Ethnically targeted government assistance: a hard sell
Rob Ford, Posted: 21 December 2015
- Addressing mother’s experiences of racial discrimination
Laia Becares, Posted: 24 November 2015
- Net migration target remains nebulous
Laurence Brown, Posted: 27 October 2015
- Do hard times increase concerns about immigration?
Ingrid Storm, Posted: 13 October 2015
- Refugee crisis: An open letter to David Cameron and Teresa May
Rob Ford and Maria Sobolewska, Posted: 7 September 2015
- It’s school not social networks that will get the poor out of poverty
Nissa Finney, Posted: 27 August 2015
- Welcome to citizenship?
Bridget Byrne, Posted: 13 August 2015
- Benefits and costs of party diversity
Maria Sobolewska, Posted: 22 July 2015
- Policing marches and parades in Scotland: taking racism seriously?
Stephen Ashe, Posted: 9 July 2015
- Inequality in the criminal justice system
Stephanie Wallace, Posted: 25 June 2015
- Employment targets for ethnic minorities will not reduce racial inequalities
Omar Khan, Posted: 19 June 2015
- Ethnic diversity and UK PLC
Ken Clark Posted: 11 June 2015
- What ‘race’ is an elf?
Andrew Smith, Posted: 28 May 2015
- Still disadvantaged? The educational attainment of ethnic minority groups
Kitty Lymperopoulou, Posted: 14 May 2015
- Why Gypsies and Travellers should count for more
Nigel de Noronha, Posted: 23 April 2015
- Why are Muslims less accepted than other minorities in Britain?
Ingrid Storm, Posted: 9 April 2015
- Unpicking the hierarchy of prejudice
James Rhodes, Posted: 26 March 2015
- Two Things We Need to Say About Race That Are True
Laurence Brown, Posted: 20 March 2015
- Ethnic Inequality in Low Pay
Simon Peters, Posted: 12 March 2015
- Racial prejudice: how bad measures can lead us astray
Rob Ford, Posted: 26 February 2015
- Ethnic inequalities in health – policy paralysis and the need to be ambitious
James Nazroo, Posted: 5 February 2015
- How racism harms health
Laia Becares, 15 January 2015
- Do religious people volunteer more?
Ingrid Storm, 18 December 2014
- Where are ethnic inequalities greatest?
Nissa Finney, Posted: 3 December 2014
- How can you identify as Irish on the census if you are not white?
Lindsey Garratt, 27 November 2014
- Why has Britain’s civil rights movement been forgotten?
Laurence Brown, Posted: 23 October 2014
- Why do ethnic inequalities continue to matter?
James Nazroo, Posted: 25 September 2014
- Racial inequality in employment worsened in recessions
Yaojun Li, Posted: 4 September 2014
- Can we ever estimate how many British Muslims will become Islamic extremists?
Maria Sobolewska, Posted: 26 August 2014
- The decline of racial prejudice in Britain
Rob Ford, Posted: 21 August 2014
- Politicians need to grasp that there are many ways of being British
Bridget Byrne, Posted: 7 August 2014
- Why the British National Party didn’t get more votes
Stephen Ashe, Posted: 24 July 2014
- Ethnic inequalities persist in the labour market
James Nazroo, Posted: 10 July 2014
- Wales must confront uncomfortable truths about racism
Bethan Harries, Posted: 26 June 2014
- Racist attitudes – the barrier to ethnic minority employment?
Ken Clark, Posted: 18 June 2014
- Anti-racism struggles of the Seventies can inspire action today
Satnam Virdee, Posted: 12 June 2014
- Whose housing crisis is it?
Nissa Finney, Posted: 29 May 2015
- Wrong, simplistic, unimaginative; dismantling Demos’s take on ethnic voting
Maria Sobolewska, Posted: 25 April 2014
- Statues in the park are not just figures from the past
Andrew Smith, Posted: 24 April 2014
- Is the picture of Pakistani self-employment really so rosy?
Ken Clark, Posted: 9 April 2014